Monday, August 14, 2006

Phoebe's Blanket

For her birthday, Phoebe picked out a color of Kureyon for me to knit this blanket from (#148). I wonder what I would have done had she asked me to knit it from say, a pastel, or (uck) blue. I have nothing against these colors, and right now am knitting a baby hat from some very softly colored yarns. Blue, you ask? I am not in my blue period right now. Check back in a couple of years.




So this brings up the question: When you are knitting something for that special someone, do you surprise them, or let them choose?


I surprise them. The exception is my husband. He is quite particular and since we do share the same space (he would differ - I and the loom, spinning wheel, books, fiber and yarns occupy the house - he just owns the space around the various tv's and his recreational toys like his motorcycle, 2 dirt bikes, and his wonderful hunting dog) it's a little hard to have something as a surprise. In Mike's case, the first sweater I knit for him was a sucess in a TKGA contest, but a disaster for him. So I get to wear it! The next sweater I knit for him (which is the most current, done this winter, a mere 10+ years after the first one) I definitly got all of his input before even starting. And at that I had to re-do it twice. But it was worth it. He wears it and loves it and that is what matters. I have found that anything larger than a hat requires approval. And if there is a color I don't/won't knit (like black these days, since my daylight knitting time is very limited), it doesn't come up as a consideration. I'm lucky to be able to bring the yarn home (oh - please - do NOT bring your DH to the yarn store! It is too painful!!!) for his approval. Get the yarn, if he doesn't like it you can always exchange it (at Jimmy Beans Wool) anyhow.

OH! Major digression! Back to the blanket!

7 squares sewn up in 1 day, just 9 more, then a border. Better find more yarn to create that!!

4 comments:

Sara said...

Welcome Allison, nice to see your work! Sorry I missed your visit to the GV Fair, but soon: SOAR :-).

Anonymous said...

Your blanket is GORGEOUS! I finally figured out how you did it -- same as doing a Log Cabin Quilt, duh! -- and can't wait to incorporate it into a sweater I'm making.
Lovely blog!
Janey in Maine

Sharon said...

Can't wait to see what Mike gets in the next ten years!

Anonymous said...

Hi Allison,
I love the family news and pictures of your amazing creativity. I'll be watching for more!
Patty