Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sad news tonight, and news that so many of us are dreading. My good friend, Laura, lost her mom. Thankfully, Laura and her sister and a helper were present. Thankfully again, Laura's mom - Jean's, husband Lane was present in their home, playing the piano, and playing a tune that Jean loved. Or maybe it was just that Jean loved to hear Lane playing their piano.

Laura called this evening to tell me of Jean's passing. I met Laura's parents years ago - at least 17 or 18 years ago - while we lived in Truckee and I was just getting to know Laura.

Mother and daughter relationships are complicated, but one thing I'm pretty sure about is that a certain daughter takes after her mom. I seem to be taking after mine, and I could see from the beginning that Laura was taking after hers. Jean was Opinionated,with a capital "O", which made her a huge asset in her southern CA weaving and spinning guild. Same with Laura in our Northern NV guild. Laura has been out of state for a few years, but her impression on our guild is and will remain a legacy.

Laura - you should be proud of the ideas and energy you instilled upon us - your vision and energy lasts and I offer up that much of who you are reflects upon your mom. Jean was a spitfire, an actuator, and a mother who loved you so much that at times neither of you could see that. You guys butted heads now and then, which has been amusing and frustrating at times, but I certainly could always recognize that you were your mother's girl. Of this heritage you should be proud.

My heart goes out to you and Mary and of course, your mom's love of her life, Lane.

Tibetan flags a-flyin- so may prayers going your way.

Love, Peace, and finally, Love.

A

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Laura leaves big and lasting footprints wherever she goes. She's braided herself into my life, that's for sure.

Her parents stayed with us several years ago and I enjoyed getting to know them. I couldn't agree more with what you wrote.

Laura said...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. My dad, Mary and I all cried. You're 100% right on the money about my mom (and me...).

We're getting by and the kind thoughts of our friends makes it possible.

Love you...